Pages

Loading...

Monday, August 18, 2008

How fast can humans run?

The average human walking speed is in the neighborhood of 4.8 km/h (3 mph). How fast do you think you could run at a full sprint? 16 Km/h? 25 km/h? What speed could you average over 42 Km? I've been wondering how various world records in running would translate to my colloquial speed unit of Km/h. So to appease my own curiosity I've compiled the tables below:

















































It's a bit surpising that the men's 200m record produces a faster average speed than the 60m and the 100m records. I expect this is partly because accelerating at the start takes some time and partly because Michael Johnson owns the 200 & 400m. But not for too long, I suspect...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

48.3 km/h was the top speed by Canada's Ben Johnson who took 48 strides to run a 100m race in 9,79 sec. source: news.bbc.co.uk