Pages

Loading...

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Suspects held after Ugandan World Cup bomb attacks

KAMPALA — Ugandan police made several arrests Tuesday and recovered unexploded suicide belts at a nightclub after 76 soccer fans were killed by two bomb attacks while they watched the World Cup final on television.

The find in a suburb of Kampala on Monday was "consistent" with what was seen at the two blast sites in the city, said the inspector general of police, Kale Kayihura. The discovery suggested that militants planned to carry out more attacks, he added. Al-Shabab, Somalia's most dangerous militant group, claimed responsibility for Sunday's attacks . The Islamists are calling for Uganda to withdraw their African Union peacekeeping forces from Somalia.

Government spokesman Fred Opolot announced the arrests but did not say how many people had been held or where they were from. The coordinated blasts were the first time al-Shabab has taken its bloody push for power onto the international stage. American former aid worker Nate Henn was among the victims. The U.S. has offered assistance with its investigations.

The State Department said it had three FBI agents on the ground collecting evidence. An additional FBI team is on standby to deploy to the east African nation, it said.
Opolot said there was no suggestion an African Union summit to be hosted by Uganda this month would be canceled following the bombings.

No comments: