Pages

Loading...

Monday, August 11, 2008

How France aided Rwanda genocide

















Rwanda last week launched the report of its commission of inquiry into the role of France in the 1994 genocide, in which up to one million people were killed. The report accuses former French President Francois Mitterand, his son and adviser Jean-Christophe, as well as the then French prime minister, ministers of foreign affairs, cooperation and defence of involvement in the genocide and calls for them to face trial. Below are highlights from the report.

The 500-page report accuses the French Government of supporting the administration of President Habyarimana in the preparation and commission of the genocide. It also argues that France had a hand in the destabilisation of Rwanda by arming genocidaires based in the former Zaire.

Prior knowledge of genocide
France knew that preparations of mass massacres were in place, the commission argues. "Between October 1990 and April 1994 French army officers were present in all security organs of the country. From 1991 until at least December 1993, there was a high number of French military advisors in the national army (FAR), gendarmerie (Police), intelligence and other special organs, including the Presidential guard."

According to the report, French military advisors took charge of high-level meetings where war strategies were being planned, and the French military commanded the war at the front line.

"As stated by Gen. Dallaire (head of the UN peacekeeping mission), since there was evidence of French military involvement with the national army immediately before the genocide, it logically follows that the French had adequate information that a major massacre was being planned."

Ideological complicity
The French Government helped Habyarimana's regime in providing the ideological base for the genocide, the commission established. In their communication, it argues, the French portrayed the Rwandan issue as purely ethnic, an issue between the majority Hutu and a minority group of Tutsi.

It quotes President Mitterand as having told his cabinet on June 22, 1994: "Rwanda, like Burundi, is numerically dominated by Hutus. In that sense, it is common knowledge that most of the population is behind President Habyarimana. Should the country be ruled by the minority Tutsi, who are now based in Uganda where most wish to establish a "Tutsi land" including not only Uganda, but also Rwanda and Burundi, certainly the track of democracy shall be interrupted".

Support to FAR
France, the report says, trained, organised and armed the former national army, FAR, which helped carry out the genocide. "France also actively participated in the war and several times fought side by side with the Rwandan National Army."

In addition, according to the report, the French army manned road blocks in Kigali and different parts of the country where they checked individual identity cards on ethnicity. "Some of those who were identified as Tutsi were killed and tortured in the presence of members of the French army, who also participated in those acts of murder and torture", it says.

Training of Interahamwe

The report accuses France of not only training the national army but also the Interahamwe militias, vagabonds who were largely responsible for carrying out the genocide.

"The French army trained and assisted in the training of the Interahamwe between 1992 and December 1993 in what was regarded as Operation Noroit. The training was conducted in the five military barracks where the French army was residing."

This, according to the report, was confirmed by a French military policeman, Thierry Prugnaud, in an interview on French Television on April 22, 2005.

"I saw members of the French army training Rwandan militias how to use rifles. That happened several times but the only time I actually saw it was when some 30 militiamen were trained how to fire in Akagera National Park," Prugnaud was quoted as saying.

Preparing lists of suspected Tutsi
The report also accuses France of having played an active role in preparing lists of suspected Tutsi and Government opponents.

"According to your directive, I have the honour to submit to you an electronic filing system where you will easily trace people meant to be investigated", French adviser Michel Robardey wrote to the chief of the staff of the Rwandan gendarmerie in October 1992. The lists were later used by Rwandan soldiers to move from house to house, killing political opponents and distinguished Tutsi.

The computerised lists project was initiated by Gen. Jean Varret, who was in charge of Rwandan-French military co-operation at the time. Before France's own commission investigating its role in the genocide, Varret confirmed that he was convinced France had helped Rwanda's intelligence services prepare the lists of Tutsis to be killed.

Appointment of Bagosora
According to the report, the French asked the then army commander, Col. Bagosora, to take control of the country after Habyarimana's death. Bagosora, the commission noted, was a known extremist who had earlier said he would 'prepare an apocalypse'.

"On April 7, 1994, the French ambassador in Rwanda, together with Col. Jean-Jacques Maurin, went to meet Col. Bagosora and asked him to take charge of the situation," the report states.

In addition, it says, French diplomatic and military support to the interim government continued during the genocide. "On May 9, 1994, Gen. Huchon hosted Lt.-Col. Ephrem Rwabalinda, adviser to the FAR chief of staff," the report says.

"Gen. Huchon promised to provide ammunition in the category of 105mm, other types of ammunition as well as communication equipment to facilitate the communication with Gen. Augustin Bizimungu, FAR commander in chief."

Delivery of Arms and ammunition
Throughout the genocide, the report argues, France continued supplying the Rwandan interim-government with arms and ammunition. It quotes Belgian Col. Luc Marshall, who was heading a unit of UN peacekeepers in Kigali, as saying in the French Le Monde newspaper:

"We were informed on 8 [April 1994] that French planes would land the following day around 6:00am. Actually, they arrived at 3:45am. Cases of ammunition - probably five tons - were discharged from a plane and were transported by vehicles of the Rwandan army to Kanombe barrack which was used as the base for the presidential guard."

More ammunition was delivered at Goma airport in the former Zaire where the interim-government had fled.

"In May, more than one month after the beginning of massacres, the French offloaded a cargo plane full of arms in Goma. The French Consul at Goma said he was not in a position to intervene since it was a private contract executed before the embargo on Rwanda was imposed," the report notes.

The commission, according to the report, further found weapons purchase orders in Mugunga refugee camp in Goma involving two French companies, Sofremas and Luchaire.

Operation Turquoise
The report also raps the French military intervention in western Rwanda in June 1994 in what was called Operation Turquoise.

"The first objective of this intervention was to divide the country in two starting from Kigali, to stop the advance of the RPF and to force it to negotiate a power-sharing agreement with the genocide government," the report says.

The French did not intervene when Tutsi civilians were being slaughtered in the area under their control, often in their presence, the commission observed.

"They left in place the genocide infrastructure, namely road blocks manned by Interahamwe. They requested Interahamwe to continue patrolling the road blocks and kill Tutsi moving around."

The report also accuses French soldiers of having been directly involved in cases of rape and killing, and of having encouraged the Hutu population to massively flee to Zaire during the last days of their mission.

"Col. Sartre organized a public meeting on July 13, 1994 at Rubengera where he strongly encouraged the population to flee to Zaire by promising France's assistance for a speedy armed return to Rwanda", the report notes.

"French soldiers accompanied the ex-FAR and Interahamwe into Zaire where they immediately assisted them in the form of military training, arms and ammunition supplies to prepare an armed return."

During Zone Turquoise, the report concludes, France's involvement in the genocide became most visible. As France had a mandate from the UN to create a humanitarian safe zone, it bears responsibility for the massacres carried out in the area under their control, it argues.

"By deciding to maintain the politicians and administrators in place and collaborate with those who had perpetrated the genocide in the previous two and half months, by requesting them or allowing them to continue killing Tutsi, the French soldiers and their commanders took full control of the genocide project."

2 comments:

Kagatama said...

http://kagatama.blogspot.com/

La France au Rwanda, une aventure qui a mal tourné * ?

Après des survivants du génocide des Tutsi, des officiels rwandais, des étrangers qui vivaient au Rwanda, des ONG françaises et étrangères, des chercheurs français et étrangers, des journalistes français et étrangers, des militaires belges, des militaires de la Minuar, etc. la commission Mucyo vient de rendre un rapport accusant également la France d'avoir une part de responsabilité dans le génocide des Tutsi. Cette commission, c'est la nouveauté, utilise largement le témoignage de repentis tueurs interahamwe ou d'anciens militaires rwandais des ex-FAR, génocidaires ou pas.
"Le ministre français de la Défense, Hervé Morin, a dénoncé jeudi le procès “absolument insupportable" fait aux militaires français, accusés par un rapport rwandais de participation directe au génocide de 1994.

"En tant que ministre de la Défense, je n'accepterai pas qu'on dise n'importe quoi sur les militaires français". "J'ai encore en mémoire ce qu'ont pu faire les militaires pour sauver des vies humaines par centaines et par milliers dans des conditions abominables (...) J'ai le souvenir de ce qu'ont fait les Français pour protéger et éviter le drame d'être encore plus lourd", a-t-il ajouté."(JDD, 7 août 2008).

C'est la réaction habituelle. Tout bon professeur de communication l'enseigne. Dans le cas du Rwanda, les exemples de ce type sont nombreux.

En octobre 1990, les militaires français ont été envoyés officiellement au Rwanda pour protéger ses ressortissants. “Cette troupe n'a pas d'autre mission que celle-là, et cette mission remplie, bien entendu, elle rentrera en France “ disait François Mitterrand, le 15 octobre 1990 (cité par David Ambrosetti, La France au Rwanda, un discours de légitimation morale, p.80).

Les 600 ressortissants français qui vivaient au Rwanda au début des années 1990 ont eu pendant trois ans, la meilleure protection du monde, la plus chère aussi. Un peu moins de 1000 soldats français d'élite veillaient sur eux. Aujourd'hui cette affirmation ridicule, semble irréelle, pourtant c'était exactement le discours officiel des dirigeants français de l'époque.

"Lors d’un colloque organisé par le CERI (Centre d’Études et de Recherche Internationale), le général Quesnot chef de l'état-major particulier de François Mitterrand a nié qu’il y ait eu des contrôles d’identité par des militaires français au Rwanda" (Jean-François Bayart, directeur de recherche au CNRS).

Après l'attaque du FPR, le 8 février 1993, l'armée française prend le contrôle de Kigali. Du 22 février au 28 mars 1993, une nouvelle opération militaire voit le jour "l’opération Chimère" . Les militaires français du détachement Noroît prennent le contrôle de tous les accès vers Kigali. On peut lire dans “l'ordre d'opération no 3 du 2 mars 1993” du Colonel Dominique Delort, que “les règles de comportement sur les “check-points” prévoient la remise de tout suspect, armement ou document saisis à la disposition de la Gendarmerie rwandaise.” (Rapport de la Mission d'information sur le Rwanda, p.166). Le rapport Mucyo, revient sur ces contrôles, et rapporte plusieurs cas de disparition de rwandais remis à la disposition de la gendarmerie rwandaise par des militaires français, ils ont vraisemblablement été exécutés par les gendarmes rwandais. Ces accusations sont très graves. Elles sont très graves, mais vérifiables. La France est un pays démocratique qui respecte les conventions de Genève. L'armée française a bien entendu, conservé les identités des Rwandais que ses militaires ont livrés à la gendarmerie rwandaise, ceci afin de vérifier que les conventions de Genève ou la convention de New York contre la torture étaient bien respectées. Il faudrait donc qu'une commission enquête auprès de l'armée française pour savoir ce que sont devenus ces “suspects”.

"La présence militaire française n'est intervenue en rien, à travers les missions qui étaient les siennes, dans la formation des miliciens. […] Le Colonel Jean-Jacques Maurin a confirmé de façon la plus catégorique que jamais au cours des réunions d'état-major auxquelles il avait assisté il n'avait fait allusion devant lui à un équipement de milices. Il s'est même trouvé un officier français pour indiquer : qu'on connaissait l'existence de milices interahamwe mais qu'on ne savait pas précisément ce qu'elles faisaient. Il a relevé le "caractère familial" des milices qui n'étaient pas exclusivement composées de voyous ou de délinquants." (Rapport de la mission d'information sur le Rwanda, p.352-353)

Encore une fois, les militaires français nient l'évidence, n'hésitant pas à désavouer leur collègue, le sous-officier du GIGN Thierry Prungneault (lire son témoignage dans mon message du 5 août ). Dans son livre, "Aucun témoin ne doit survivre " (p.143), l'ONG Human Right Watch nous dit que des diplomates étrangers basés à Kigali ont été témoins de ces entraînements, dans le parc de l'Akagera, près de Gabiro. Le rapport Mucyo donne aujourd'hui des noms, des dates, des lieux. Il suffirait de vérifier.

Lors du dépôt des premières plaintes de survivants du génocide contre des militaires français, Michèle Alliot-Marie, alors ministre de la défense, déclara le 9 décembre 2005 “qu'il est inadmissible que les militaires français puissent être accusés de cette façon et de choses qui la plupart du temps sont farfelues.”

Les soldats français étaient près d'un millier, entre 1990 et 1993, essentiellement dans et autour du gros village qu'était Kigali, puis 2500 lors de l'opération Turquoise. Ils étaient considérés par leurs collègues militaires rwandais comme des sauveurs auxquels on ne pouvait rien refuser, ces mêmes militaires qui opprimaient devant eux les Tutsi, et en particulier les femmes Tutsi. Les forces françaises seraient donc les seules forces étrangères au monde à n'avoir pas commis de viols en période de guerre ?

Le pseudo journaliste* Pierre Péan, dans le but avoué de faire taire les nombreuses accusations contre les soldats français, a été obligé de révéler un cas de viol avec actes de barbarie commis au Rwanda fin 1992 ou début 1993. Il évoque le cas d'une jeune rwandaise qui a eu le malheur de croiser la route d'un camion de l'armée française à Kigali. "Deux [militaires français] l'ont violée puis lui ont "travaillé" le sexe à la baïonnette sans que les autres militaires interviennent. Puis l'ont laissée, nue, sur le bord de la route. La jeune fille a été emmenée à l'hôpital de Kigali”. (Noires fureurs, blancs menteurs, page 207, en Post-scriptum !) Péan pour prouver que l'ordre régnait au sein du contingent français, nous dit que les militaires français ont été immédiatement sanctionnés : leur hiérarchie les a renvoyés en France. D'après Péan, aucune poursuite pénale n'a été ordonnée contre ces violeurs, leurs collègues qui ont laissé faire ou leurs supérieurs hiérarchiques. Si cette histoire est vraie, nous serions en présence d'un cas avéré de violation de l'article 4.2)e) du Protocole additionnel II aux Conventions de Genève, lequel proscrit "les atteintes à la dignité de la personne, notamment les traitements humiliants et dégradants, le viol, la contrainte à la prostitution et tout attentat à la pudeur." Anto Furundzija commandant local d’une unité spéciale de la police en Bosnie-Herzégovine, a été condamné à dix ans de prison par le Tribunal Pénal International pour l'ex-Yougoslavie dont huit pour ce seul motif. Tous les militaires français ne sont pas des violeurs, loin de là, raison de plus pour punir conformément au droit, les criminels qui salissent en son sein l'honneur de l'armée française.

L'armée française n'est pas entièrement responsable de ses actions au Rwanda. Elle a reçu des ordres des responsables politiques de l'époque et elle les a accomplis. Officieusement, ces ordres étaient clairs - empêcher le FPR de prendre le pouvoir - même si cela devait passer par le soutien actif à un régime politico-militaire qui a organisé un génocide contre les Tutsi du Rwanda. Le soutien inconditionnel de la France au régime Habyarimana a-t-il stoppé net le 7 avril 1994 ? Ou bien a-t-il été également suivi d’un soutien au gouvernement intérimaire de Jean Kambanda*** pendant le génocide ? Un gouvernement composé dans les locaux de l'ambassade de France au Rwanda, en présence de l'ambassadeur Jean-Michel Marlaud, le 8 avril 1994.

Alors procès "absolument insupportable" ?

Je ne peux pas mieux dire que Rémy Ourdan (grand reporter au Monde, auteur d'une excellente série d'articles en 1998, sur le génocide des Tutsi, intitulée au "pays des âmes mortes"):

“Paris ne peut pas rejeter ces récits sans enquêter en profondeur et sans répondre point par point à chacune des centaines d'accusations. L'enjeu est d'établir avec exactitude les responsabilités dans le dernier génocide du XXe siècle. La France, qui tient et qui a contribué à ce que la lumière se fasse sur le génocide des juifs d'Europe durant la seconde guerre mondiale, ne peut pas refuser de se confronter aux effroyables récits rwandais, au motif que ses dirigeants étaient, disent-ils, animés de louables intentions, et qu'une aventure africaine a mal tourné. “ (Le Monde, 6 août 2008)

* Rémy Ourdan (Le Monde, 6 août 2008)

**Pierre Péan avoue lui-même qu'il n'est jamais allé au Rwanda. Aucun journaliste digne de ce nom n'aurait osé écrire un livre sur un pays et sur un génocide, sans s'être rendu une seule fois au moins dans ce pays, et sans n'avoir jamais rencontré une seule victime de ce génocide.

***Jean Kambanda qui a plaidé coupable de génocide a été condamné à la prison à vie par le TPIR.

anjelinajolie said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.